Dr. Nussbaum’s 50 Tips for Brain Health
1. Know these three facts about your brain:
Your brain weighs about 3 pounds
Your Brain is composed of nearly 60% fat
Your Brain demands 25% of the blood from each heartbeat
2. Start each day with a quiet 12 minutes of mindfulness and meditation.
3. Walk briskly each day for 25 minutes.
4. Increase your fish intake to 8 ounces per week.
5. Increase your daily fruits and vegetables intake to 6 fist-full servings.
6. Forgive someone who has hurt you.
7. Pray on a daily basis.
8. Dance daily with total body movement.
9. Engage is a novel and complex activity several times a month.
10. Travel and use different routes to and from work or store.
11. Make one new friend a month.
12. Engage in aerobic exercise several times a week.
13. Try a yoga class, even chair or gentle yoga.
14. Treat yourself to a massage.
15. Learn a new language, including sign language.
16. Read and stay current in the news.
17. Write and try your hand at poetry.
18. Consider speaking in public.
19. Play a musical instrument and sing.
20. Use utensils when you eat.
21. Take a Tai Chi class for balance.
22. Include brain fitness such as Rosetta Stone Fitbrains in your daily life.
23. Learn how to use the computer and Facebook to stay engaged.
24. Garden and knit.
25. Read Save Your Brain to understand how lifestyle can shape your brain for health.
26. Have mercy on yourself and on others.
27. Visualize the warmth of Love and kindness.
28. Give some of your possessions to others.
29. Clean and organize your room and surroundings.
30. Engage in daily deep breathing exercises.
31. Engage in daily progressive muscle relaxation.
32. Participate in a weekly meditation class.
33. Yawn as frequently as you can, as this is good for the brain.
34. Sleep at least 8 hours a day.
35. Eat breakfast each morning.
36. Tell someone you love him or her each day.
37. Increase antioxidants in your diet.
38. Define your purpose in life.
39. Actively think happy and positive thoughts daily.
40. Refrain from anger or hostility.
41. Meet with your PCP at least annually.
42. Monitor your blood pressure throughout the year.
43. Consider the RC21x.com for monitoring your own cognitive and motor skills.
44. Do not take supplements without your Doctor’s advice.
45. Meet with a financial planner.
46. Text or email one kind thought to someone daily.
47. Smile as much as you can.
48. Draw a picture of what happiness is for you and visualize it daily.
49. Increase your network of friends.
50. Give genuine thanks for the day